QFN-like packaged GNSS module tracks three constellations simultaneously
Telit announced the availability of SE873Q5, an ultra-low-power, high-sensitivity GNSS module compatible with its popular SE873 module.
The multi-constellation receiver module can be set to a number of different power saving modes depending on application requirements and includes an ultra-low noise LNA boosting sensitivity which allows developers to explore a much wider variety of device designs, enclosures, and relative placement inside personal devices, garments, or other space constrained electronics, says Telit.
Telit claims this SE873Q5 is the smallest flash-memory based GNSS module capable of tracking three constellations simultaneously at its power level. It integrates innovation in components and design reducing power consumption by 20%, while boosting satellite signal reception sensitivity compared to the SE873. The SE873Q5 is pin to pin compatible with SE873 so that it can be applied in existing design where the performance can be boosted by this latest module.
“When it comes to application areas like wearables and others in the commercial and consumer spaces, there is no such thing as ‘too small’ or ‘too power-efficient’,” said Felix Marchal, Executive Vice President of GNSS and Short Range Wireless. “And when you add to this type of efficiency, a stellar front-end RF performance in a miniature global satellite positioning receiver module, you immediately open up new product and business opportunities because now your antenna requirements are easier to meet; and you can explore more ‘buried’ designs where the module, used with an integrated antenna, can be encased deeper into the physical environment of the consumer, commercial, or industrial application.”
Product specifications as per Telit are listed below:
1. The Jupiter SE873Q5 is packaged in a 7x7x1.85mm QFN-like package, equipped SQI Flash memory, switching power supply and integrated high-performance LNA.
2. It is designed to support GPS, GLONASS, Beidou and is Galileo ready, delivering simultaneous tracking in two modes: GPS+Galileo and Glonass or GPS+Galileo and Beidou.
3. To extend battery life, the module includes a low-power tracking mode as well as advanced low-power modes: SmartGNSS 1 & 2, duty cycle, push-to-fix.
4. Because it is flash-memory-based, it enables easy firmware updates, customization of operating parameters and supports ephemeris file injection (A-GPS) for up to 14 days, resulting in faster TTFF.
5. Navigation data is delivered using OSP binary protocol or NMEA through standard UART, SPI or I2C ports.
6. The module supports A-GPS as well as Satellite Based Augmentation System (SBAS) to increase position accuracy.
7. Server generated and Client generated extended ephemeris are supported and stored in internal Flash memory.
8. The enhanced sensitivity of the SE873Q5 is rated at -147dBm for acquisition, -161dBm for navigation and -167dBm for tracking.