GL Communications Inc. has released its latest enhanced
PacketExpert - a quad port Ethernet / VLAN / MPLS / IP /
UDP tester software.
Speaking to reporters, Mr. Jagdish Vadalia Senior Manager
said, "PacketExpert is a portable Quad Port Ethernet
/ VLAN / MPLS / IP / UDP tester with 4 electrical Ethernet
ports (10/100/1000 Mbps) and 2 optical ports (1000 Mbps).
It connects to a Notebook PC through a USB 2.0 interface
and each port provides independent Ethernet / VLAN / MPLS
/ IP / UDP testing at wirespeed for applications such as
BERT, RFC 2544, and loopback. Now multiple PacketExperts
as provided in below picture may be controlled with a single
He added, "Command line support has also been added.
The newly added Command Line Interface (CLI) feature to
PacketExpert is in three different modes: Console based
CLI, Client Server based CLI, and Windows Client Server
based CLI. All functions available through the GUI are available
through commands - such as All Port Bert, Bert Loopback,
All Port Loopback, and RFC 2544 using any one of the 3 modes."
Mr. Vadalia further explained, "Console Based CLI
is a stand-alone console based application. The user can
enter commands in the console prompt, executed and results
displayed in the console itself.
Client-Server based CLI is also a console-based application.
But, here, the CLI runs as a console based server, waiting
for client commands. The client is also a console-based
application that accepts commands through the command line,
and executes only one command at a time. It sends the command
to the server locally through a local UDP socket, waits
for the result of execution and this is useful for automation,
where the commands need to be called from a different third-party
application. Both client and server must run on the same
And Windows Client Server (GL Windows Client/Server) based
CLI utilizes GL's WCS framework. Client sends the command
to the server. Server processes the commands and replies
with the results to the client. This does not necessarily
require the client and server to run on the same PC. Single
GUI/CLI can control multiple PacketExpert hardware units
for BERT and Loopback."
1. Capable of generating/receiving Ethernet to IP traffic
at wire speed
2. Capable of handling full wire speed BERT, in both directions,
on all available ports.
3. Easily control multiple hardware units from a single
GUI, multiplying the number of ports available per
4. Command Line Interfaces - Console based CLI as well as
GL's WCS (Windows Client Server) based
CLI, allowing remote control
5. Supports Loopback, allowing for easy test setup.
6. Wire speed BERT and RFC 2544 testing over Framed Ethernet
(Layer2), Stacked MPLS (Layer2.5), IP
and UDP. BERT testing is also supported on Layer1.
7. Support for BERT, RFC 2544 and Loopback testing with
stacked VLAN (Q-in-Q) - up to 3 levels
8. Support for BERT, and RFC 2544 testing with stacked MPLS,
up to 3 levels
9. Support for BERT, Loopback and RFC 2544 testing over
10. Supports industry standards PRBS patterns 29-1, 211-1,
215-1, 220-1, 223-1, 229-1, and 231-1, constant
patterns like all ones, all zeroes, alt ones-zeroes and
user-defined test patterns ranging between
1 to 32 bits.
11. Optional sequence number insertion allows detecting
out-of-sequence packets and packet loss.
12. Error Insertion capability - Single as well as constant
rate Bit Error and FCS Error Insertion.
13. Throughput, back-to-back, latency and frame loss testing
as per RFC 2544 for Uni-directional and Bi-Directional
traffic between ports.
14. Easy to setup and conduct RFC2544 tests using user-defined
parameters such as frame size, trial duration,
number of trials, etc.
15. Real-time results are presented in both tabular as well
as graphical format.
16. Detailed test result reports in PDF and CSV file formats.
17. Detailed frame statistics in tabular format for all
18. User-defined or auto-negotiated electrical ports can
operate at 10/100/1000 Mbps line rates in Full Duplex
mode; optical ports can operate at 1000 Mbps line rate in
Full Duplex mode only.
19. Loopback capability for incoming traffic. Both smart
loopback (auto layer detection) and selected user-defined
layers loopback capabilities are supported.
20. Support for frame lengths from 64 bytes to Jumbo frames
(up to 2048 bytes).
parameters for MAC, VLAN, MPLS, IP and UDP layers.
21. Support for ARP, Ping, IPv6 etc.
22. Field upgradeable technology allows tester to stay current
with industry trend