Date: 5th Apr 2011
The missing blocks TI fills by acquiring
As we said in our previous article titled "TI
acquiring National Semiconductor is not a smart move"
both Texas Instruments and National Semiconductor have much
in common by product-wise as well as technology-wise. Though
not a huge benefit, if we study little deep there are few
gains for TI by acquring National Semiconductor. Our study
points out below gains.
1. Huge number of industrial and power electronic customers
of National Semiconductor.
2. Highly valuable patents related to analog and power semiconductor
3. MEMS expertise and product range of National Semiconductor
4. Solar electronics research expertise
5. TI can claim leading market share in many of the analog
categories where the nearest competitor can
be kept far away.
6. Also in global semiconductor ranking TI jumps to 3rd
position after Intel and Samsung.
7. TI can keep its competitors away from its customers by
offering mix of products from both TI and National
However TI can't leverage the National acquisition for
any exponential growth.